Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Saying Farewell to our Childhood Home

There are moments in life that can take you by surprise, take your breath away and transport you to a place where it's crucial to work on acceptance. As we say in the program, "acceptance is the answer to all of our problems today." Yes...acceptance. So desired and yet so difficult to reach sometimes.
My dad has sold our family home, a home we've owned for 46 years, a home that has seen my parent's five children grow, leave, come back, leave, return for visits with spouses and children of their own. Such family history lies within those walls! So many memories.
We lost our beautiful mom four years ago next week...four years. It seems like just yesterday that we were having one of our daily laughs over the phone, planning for Christmas...a Christmas that never came. That's how quickly life can change. In the blink of an eye, our entire world can change.
My dad remarried and now he and his new wife are heading down South to begin a new chapter in his life. I need to be happy for my dad and to be on his side and work at putting my feelings aside. I'm a grown woman who understands that life moves on and we must move along with it or remain stuck in the past, which can cause us much pain. I know this. Yet I find myself yearning for the past, for the days of coming home and knowing that mom was there waiting, that dad would soon be there and that my brothers and sisters and I would all be together with them.
We've always been a very close family, very much involved in each other's lives. Yet when we lost our mom, it was as if the very foundation of our family began to slip away. Now it's as if we've all be scattered to the wind and holding onto our connection has been a real challenge.
My dad's wife sent us each the colored photo of our home that the realtor made, along with a copy of the virtual tour. As much as I will treasure having these, as I held the large photo in my hand, the colors all blurred with the tears that filled my eyes. As I looked at that beautiful home, I could hear my mom's voice calling my name, I could see us all outside running around, I could see our own children sitting on the front porch on July 4th enjoying their red, white & blue popsicles that their Nana had bought for them. Or running around the yard looking for those plastic eggs filled with candy and quarters that their Poppy had hidden for them.
Memories...such a gift to us. A gift that can bring a smile or a tear. I thank God for our memories, I thank God for such a beautiful home to grow up in, and most of all I thank God for such amazing parents who gave us such a wonderful childhood, who taught us so much and who showed us the way to create our own lives. We can never go home again, but in my heart, I will always be there with them.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the tears! beautifully written. how lucky your children are that they have the memories of running around that home. my little one unfortunately won't - but you are correct, we hold our memories in our heart and i will pass those memories onto her. xo

    ReplyDelete