Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Changing Times

Well, times have certainly changed. I can't remember a Memorial Day that my kids and I along with my brother and his family (and anyone else who was in town) got together at my parent's home for a little barbeque. So many memories. But dad is recovering from open heart surgery and didn't seem up to visitors (can we blame him?!?), although the kids really wanted to see him. And next year he will be in his new home in Florida.
Life is so strange. One minute you're in the middle of it all and maybe taking it for granted, and the next minute you're left with memories. Then it's time to move forward and make new plans.
So yesterday we spent a lovely afternoon with some friends on their sunny deck. It was a good time and the kids really enjoyed themselves. I didn't know many people but enjoyed talking with them and learning their stories.
Yet when that barbeque was started and those burgers were cooking away, I was lost in the memories of dad and my brother talking away at the grill, and the kids running around their wonderful backyard having the time of their lives just playing together. And mom...sitting on the back porch with her feet up, a cold drink and a funny story. Mom...so missed.
SO...along with the changing times comes some good news! I am just under NINE pounds down and feeling very hopeful. Of course the fact that I can hardly afford any food might be a part of it, but even when I'm around a lot of it, I'm making the choices I need to make today. And seeing results. I will get there! And here's to good changes for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment